深圳醉仙蒲 Tag Archive

hgdqhzffz

After freeing Mexican journalist, US authorities urged to grant his asylum request

first_img NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say United StatesAmericas Receive email alerts Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says RSF_en Organisation United StatesAmericas WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Emilio Gutiérrez Soto, a journalist with the Mexican newspaper El Diario, was released yesterday after being held for seven months by the US immigration authorities in the Texan border city of El Paso. He fled across the border on 15 June 2008 after receiving threats believed to have come from military personnel. It is not yet known when the US authorities will examine his asylum request. News Reporters Without Borders welcomes Mexican journalist Emilio Gutiérrez Soto’s release yesterday in the Texan border city of El Paso and urges the US authorities to grant him political asylum, as he would be in great danger if he had to return to Mexico. Gutiérrez had been held by the US immigration department ever since he crossed the border seeking asylum on 15 June 2008. “Gutiérrez was held for seven months although he posed no threat to the security of the United States and his work as a journalist had exposed him to a real threat in one of Mexico’s most dangerous regions,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We have constantly reminded the Mexican and US authorities of the horrific situation that journalists – primarily Mexican journalists but also US journalists – are enduring in the border region.” The press freedom organisation added: “We fervently hope the US immigration authorities will approve Gutiérrez’s asylum request. Sending him back to Mexico would be a death sentence. It would also be appropriate for them to explain why he was held. The way Gutiérrez was treated sets a bad precedent for the governments of supposedly safer countries, which should be protecting and offering haven to foreign journalists in such a situation. Reporters Without Borders has helped more than 200 refugee journalists in the past two years.”The US authorities have so far refused to make any comment about Gutiérrez’s release yesterday afternoon from the El Paso detention centre where he spent the past seven months.Aged 46 and the correspondent of the El Diario newspaper in Ascensión, in the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua, Gutiérrez crossed the border into Texas with his teenage son Oscar on 15 June 2008 after receiving death threats believed to have come from military personnel. A month before, around 50 soldiers had carried out a heavy-handed night-time search of his home that was completely illegal.After crossing the border, Gutiérrez and his son voluntarily approached US immigration officials, who arrested them and put them in a detention centre. His son was subsequently released and allowed to stay with cousins who live in El Paso. A US immigration hearing on Gutiérrez’s case was originally scheduled for 20 November but was postponed to March. Although now free, Gutiérrez still does not know when the authorities will examine his asylum request. News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on United States News to go further January 30, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 After freeing Mexican journalist, US authorities urged to grant his asylum request June 7, 2021 Find out more June 3, 2021 Find out more News April 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More

kpkgicjmk

McDowell: Old Course needs a tweak

first_img There has been some discussion throughout the week as to whether the ‘home of golf’, as playing and equipment standards continue to improve, could become too easy for the game’s elite. The reputation of the Old Course was defended by Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R&A, the organisers, but with the championship returning to St Andrews every five years, the debate is likely to continue. Graeme McDowell has suggested the Old Course at St Andrews may need some work to ensure it remains Open Championship standard. He made a blistering start with four birdies in five holes, and four more followed, but two double bogeys, among six dropped shots, left him off the pace on two under and signing for 70. The Northern Irishman said: “I played lovely, I really did, but I drove the ball disgusting. “I’m not really quite sure what’s wrong with my driving, everything else is pretty good. “That’s got to go down as an extremely frustrating and disappointing round, because it was there or thereabouts.” McDowell, 35, feels he is not far off rediscovering his best. He said: “It’s tough at times but there are signs of life. I’ve just got to wait, be patient. My time will come.” “When you see the type of power that these guys are using and putting on the golf ball, you start wondering what they can do with it to keep it up to modern times,” said McDowell after completing his third round. “The bunkers are just not really in play enough.” Due to the course’s proximity to St Andrews town centre and the North Sea, there is little room to expand but McDowell does not think making holes longer is necessarily the answer. He said: “I don’t think you’ve got to go put a ton of yardage on this golf course. “I think if this golf course just had a tiny bit more rough and the bunkers were slightly up to modern yardages, I think this golf course is still all there in front of you. “Unfortunately driving the ball is just too easy this week. “This is a fantastic golf course and it doesn’t need a complete rejig, it just needs a little bit of reshaping here and there.” McDowell, the 2010 US Open champion, was among the early starters as the third round got under way a day late after interruptions for bad weather on Friday and Saturday. Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More